Apartment management company refuses to deal with bedbugs and blames tenant. $465K. Los Angeles County.
Man is bitten 500 - 1,000 times by bedbugs in his apartment.
- Case Name: Johnny Reynolds et al. v. 12300-12301 Osborne Place
- Court and Case Number: : Los Angeles County Superior Court / BC581802
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Monday, May 08, 2017
- Date Action was Filed: Thursday, May 14, 2015
- Type of Action: Landlord-Tenant Issues
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Melvin Sandvig
- Plaintiffs: Johnny Reynolds, 55.Jontae Reynolds
- Defendants: 12300-12301 Osborne Place
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: $465,400
- Award as to each Defendant:
$453,600 for plaintiff Johnny Reynolds
$12,000 for plaintiff Jontae Reynolds
- Economic Damages:
Property damage: $10,000
Rent abatement: $2,400
Security deposit: $400
Past medicals: $600
Future medicals: $30,000
- Non-Economic Damages:
Past non-economic: $330,000 (Johnny Reynolds)
Future non-economic: $80,000 (Johnny Reynolds)
Past non-economic: $10,000 (Jontae Reynolds)
- Trial or Arbitration Time: 5 days.
- Jury Deliberation Time: 3 hours.
- Jury Polls: 12-0
- Attorney for the Plaintiff:
MYBEDBUGLAWYER, INC. by Brian Virag, Encino.
- Attorney for the Defendant:
Law Office of Jeffrey Korn by Jeffrey Korn, Los Angeles.
- Plaintiff’s Medical Expert(s):
Raphael Darvish, M.D., dermatology, Los Angeles.
- Defendant's Medical Expert(s):
- Plaintiff's Technical Expert(s):
Richard Kaae, entomology, Huntington Beach.
- Defendant's Technical Expert(s):
Facts and Background
- Facts and Background:
Johnny Reynolds had lived in his apartment unit for seven years. In May, 2013 he began to experience "bites" on his body. He complained to the management company, which took no action. He continued to get bites and notified defendant management company again in June; still the management did nothing. In July, he contacted the Los Angeles County Department of Environmental Health, which performed an inspection and found his unit positive for bedbugs. A violation notice was issued to the management company, which still did nothing.
- Plaintiff's Contentions:
That defendant management company breached the warranty of habitability and was negligent for failing to provide pest control and failing to respond to Johnny Reynolds's complaints.
- Defendant's Contentions:
That plaintiff caused the bedbug infestation.
Injuries and Other Damages
- Physical Injuries claimed by Plaintiff:
Mr. Reynolds was bitten between 500 and 1000 times and had residual scarring from the bedbug bites. Jontae Reynolds (his daughter) who came to stay with him for 3 days also received bites.
Severe emotional distress.
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Medical: $600
- Special Damages Claimed - Future Medical: $30,000
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Lost Earnings: 0
- Special Damages Claimed - Future Lost Earnings: 0
Demands and Offers
- Defendant §998 Offer: $1,500
- Defendant Final Offer before Trial: $2,000