School district found negligent in its supervision when middle school teacher repeatedly molests student. $8 million. Los Angeles County.
Male middle school teacher molests eighth grade female student.
- Case Name: Antonia M. vs. Pomona Unified School District
- Court and Case Number: Los Angeles Superior Court / BC543558
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Tuesday, May 10, 2016
- Type of Action: Negligence
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. David Cunningham III
- Plaintiffs: Antonia M., a minor.
- Defendants: Pomona Unified School District
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: $8,050,000
- Contributory/Comparative Negligence: Pomona Unified School District: 80%; Perpetrator Andrews: 20%.
- Economic Damages:
Past medical: None claimed.
Future medical: $50,000
- Non-Economic Damages:
Past non-economic damages: $7,000,000
Future non-economic damages: $1,000,000
- Attorney for the Plaintiff:
Taylor & Ring by John Taylor and Natalie Weatherford, Los Angeles.
- Attorney for the Defendant:
McCune & Harber by Dana John McCune and Jessica Gillette, Los Angeles.
- Plaintiff’s Medical Expert(s):
Lynn Ponton, M.D., psychiatry, San Francisco.
- Defendant's Medical Expert(s):
Constance Dalenberg, Ph.D., psychology, San Diego.
- Defendant's Technical Expert(s):
Robert Fraisse, Ph.D., school supervision, Thousand Oaks.
Facts and Background
- Facts and Background:
Lorbeer Middle School teacher Steven Andrews committed multiple acts of sexual assault and abuse against the plaintiff, Antonia M., over the course of her 2010/2011 school year. Antonia M. was 14 years old at the time of the abuse. Andrews was 40 years old.
- Plaintiff's Contentions:
That defendant school district was negligent in that it failed to supervise the teacher and/or student in this case.
- Defendant's Contentions:
That supervision was adequate. Defendant district disputed the nature and extent of plaintiff’s damages.
Injuries and Other Damages
- Physical Injuries claimed by Plaintiff:
Severe emotional distress.
Demands and Offers
- Defendant Final Offer before Trial: $1,000,000