Pedestrian hit by vehicle dies. $4.5M. Los Angeles County.
Pedestrian struck by company vehicle in crosswalk.
- Case Name: Tran v. TNT USA, INC.
- Court and Case Number: Los Angeles Superior Court / BC645566
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Friday, August 31, 2018
- Date Action was Filed: Wednesday, January 04, 2017
- Type of Action: Vehicles - vs. Pedestrian, Wrongful Death
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Charles Palmer
- Plaintiffs: Bihn TranLawrence ChanKen Tran
- Defendants: TNT USA, Inc., employer of defendant driver.Noe Astorga, defendant driver.
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: $4,528,391.91
- Attorney for the Plaintiff:
The Vartazarian Firm by Steven Vartazarian and Matthew Whibley, Sherman Oaks.
Daniels Law by Bill Daniels, Sherman Oaks.
- Attorney for the Defendant:
Kirk & Myers by Jeffrey Cabot Myers and Brandon M. Corday, Los Angeles.
Facts and Background
- Facts and Background:
On October 24, 2016 at approximately 9:06 a.m., defendant’s employee made a left-hand turn at the corner of Main St and 3rd Street in Alhambra, striking Ms. Tien Ahn Chung. Ms. Chung was a pedestrian walking in a marked crosswalk with a green light and walk signal. Her cause of death was a combination of traumatic brain injury and blunt force trauma to her cardiovascular system. Ms. Chung was 69 at the time of her death and survived by three adult children, the plaintiffs in this lawsuit.
- Plaintiff's Contentions:
Plaintiffs filed suit for negligence and wrongful death against defendant driver and his employer.
- Defendant's Contentions:
Defendant admitted liability.
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Medical: $28,391.91
- Special Damages Claimed - Future Medical: 0
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Lost Earnings: 0
- Special Damages Claimed - Future Lost Earnings: 0
Demands and Offers
- Defendant Final Offer before Trial: $5,000,000