Hotel shower head pops off and causes injury. $3M. Los Angeles County.
Shower head pops plaintiff in the eye, causing serious injury. Hotel had been told about the problem shower head.
- Case Name: Turner v. Wilbur V. Mills dba Re-Tan Hotel, et al.
- Court and Case Number: Los Angeles Superior Court / 20STCV05571
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Friday, July 22, 2022
- Date Action was Filed: Tuesday, February 11, 2020
- Type of Action: Premises Liability
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Michael Lavanas
- Plaintiffs: Oliver Turner, 55
- Defendants: Richard MillsEl Camino Investment CompanyMauricio Rivas
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: $3,053,850
- Contributory/Comparative Negligence: None.
- Trial or Arbitration Time: 10 days
- Jury Deliberation Time: 2 days
- Attorney for the Plaintiff:
Conlogue Law, LLP by Kevin S. Conlogue, Beverly Hills.
- Attorney for the Defendant:
Soltman, Levitt, Flaherty & Wattles LLP by John S. Levitt, Thousand Oaks.
- Plaintiff’s Medical Expert(s):
Farmarz Davidi, M.D., ophthalmology. (Treating physician.)
Yuvraj Grewal, M.D., neurology. (Treating physician.)
Narinder Grewal, M.D., pain management. (Treating physician.)
Greg Khounganian, M.D., orthopedic surgery. (Treating physician.)
- Defendant's Medical Expert(s):
Andrew Woo, M.D., neurology.
Brian D. Rudin, M.D., orthopedic surgery.
Alan L. Shabo, M.D., ophthalmology.
Philip K. Steinquist, Ph.D., neuropsychology.
- Plaintiff's Technical Expert(s):
Mark Burns, liability.
- Defendant's Technical Expert(s):
Facts and Background
- Facts and Background:
On June 12, 2018, plaintiff took a shower at the Re-Tan Hotel in Hollywood and the shower head popped off and hit him in his eye. On the previous day, plaintiff had complained to the front desk that the shower head was spraying water everywhere and needed to be fixed.
- Plaintiff's Contentions:
That the defendant hotel staff had promised after he complained that the shower head would be fixed the next day.
- Defendant's Contentions:
That staff had offered plaintiff a new room, and told him to use the shower down the hall, and not the shower in the room he occupied.
Injuries and Other Damages
- Physical Injuries claimed by Plaintiff:
Right eye ptosis and cataract, mild TBI, and neck injury requiring cervical fusion.
Demands and Offers
- Plaintiff §998 Demand: Separately to each defendant: $200K, $200K, and $100K.
Insurer: Great Lakes Insurance SE
This is not an official court document. While the publisher believes the information to be accurate, the publisher does not guarantee it and the reader is advised not to rely upon it without consulting the official court documents or the attorneys of record in this matter who are listed above.
© Copyright 2023 by Neubauer & Associates, Inc. All rights reserved. www.juryverdictalert.com