Skateboarder in crosswalk runs into defendant's SUV. Jury awards $41,800 net after contrib negligence. Orange County.
Skateboarder, 25, enters uncontrolled crosswalk and strikes SUV passing through the crosswalk. Jury's gross award was 10 times defense offer, but jury placed 30% contributory negligence on plaintiff skateboarder.
- Case Name: Darin Blue v. Joshua Schwab
- Court and Case Number: Orange County Superior Court/ 30-2011-00528875
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Thursday, December 20, 2012
- Date Action was Filed: Sunday, December 11, 2011
- Type of Action: Vehicles - vs. Pedestrian
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Luis Rodriguez
- Plaintiffs: Darin Blue, 25, marketing associate
- Defendants: Joshua Schwab
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: $59,742
- Net Verdict or Award: $41,819 after reduction for contributory negligence.
- Contributory/Comparative Negligence: 30% as to plaintiff; 70% as to defendant.
- Non-Economic Damages:
- Trial or Arbitration Time: 5 days
- Jury Deliberation Time: 2 hours
- Jury Polls: 12-0
- Attorney for the Plaintiff: Allen, Flatt, Ballidis & Leslie by Michael C. Bock, Newport Beach
- Attorney for the Defendant: Maguire & Associates by Brian Fujita, Costa Mesa
- Plaintiff’s Medical Experts: Daniel Levin, DDS, maxillofacial surgery, Huntington Beach
- Plaintiff's Technical Experts: Carl Cover, accident reconstruction, Colorado Springs, CO
- Defendant's Technical Experts: Gerald Bretting, accident reconstruction, El Segundo
Facts and Background
- Facts and Background:
On August 6, 2010, in Newport Beach plaintiff entered an uncontrolled crosswalk, riding his skateboard. Plaintiff struck the side of defendant's SUV while using the marked crosswalk as defendant drove through the crosswalk.
- Plaintiff's Contentions:
Defendant failed to yield the right of way.
- Defendant's Contentions:
Plaintiff ran into side of vehicle and was himself entirely responsible for the accident, as he left a place of safety and entered into oncoming traffic.
Injuries and Other Damages
- Physical Injuries claimed by Plaintiff:
Fractured cheekbone, broken teeth, assorted scrapes and bruises.
Veneers to be replaced every 7-10 years, follow-up monitoring work.
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Medical: $11,500
- Special Damages Claimed - Future Medical: $27,000
Demands and Offers
- Defendant §998 Offer: $5,000
This is not an official court document. While the publisher believes the information to be accurate, the publisher does not guarantee it and the reader is advised not to rely upon it without consulting the official court documents or the attorneys of record in this matter who are listed above.
© Copyright 2023 by Neubauer & Associates, Inc. All rights reserved. www.juryverdictalert.com